Saturday, November 06, 2004

Classes Are Thinning Out

I must admit I was a little depressed today having taken actual notice of Evan not being in class. I never really got (or perhaps made) a chance to know the guy in person, and now I am inclined to wonder if perhaps having another traveler far from home and hearth to commiserate with might have encouraged him to forge ahead. I can certainly attest to the fact that being away from the wife and kids just plain sucks big time. There’s no way around it, no nice way of saying it – it just plain sucks. I hate it, but I supress it and carry on.

Who is going to take his place? Who is going to provide lawyerly insights by blurting out in class with happiness and glee - “LYING is BENEFICIAL! LYING is GOOD!”

Despite my own blog tendencies for humping-puppets and collapsing Dollars, it was always refreshing to see Evan's blog attempt to connect the deeper elements of humanity with law. Something I’d love to do as well, but as one of the short bus kids it’s probably best I stick with things I know. Unfortunately, those truly humanistic connections that I suspect Evan was searching for in law - just don’t exist in a satisfying way in today’s legal education system (and frankly I think that sucks). If I had my way, I’d much rather get a Masters in Medieval History or Literature than Law, but the latter opens many practical doors of insight that I believe make the short-term misery hopefully worth it. In Evan’s case, I suspect he’ll make the connections he needs that work best for him and I certainly wish him well.

(The one upside to Evan leaving is the grade curve. A few of us talked about this and while we miss Evan, his departure means that a few more of us will pass the class rather than being returned home in complete humiliation and suffer lifelong shame! Wahoo! Thanks Evan!)

1 Comments:

At Monday, November 08, 2004 1:10:00 PM, Blogger Evan said...

Always glad to lend a hand. :) I hope everything is going well for you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home