Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Next Stop in The Law School Twilight Zone

I am mulling over a short list of options with respect to law school. I can always return to Cooley in the Fall... but have pretty much ruled that out due to the horrific commute. It does seem to get a little better each term as my C's have all been a few points away from hitting the next grade level, whereas last term my C's were barely (and I mean barely) C's in terms of the point spread. I also find it interesting how so many of my peers don't like (or didn't like) to discuss their grades when things went bad. Perhaps this is perfectly logical when all you have are grades to define your future or your next job, but in my case my resume is jam-packed with other things and a JD is in some respects frosting on the cake. Plus, I've never envisioned myself looking for work, but rather planned (and still plan) having my own practice.

I like the idea of Concord as it would let me work plus get a legal education, but serious and obvious drawbacks exist. Last, but not least, is another T4 school in California that is (knock on wood) becoming a green light - short commute, but still expensive and a hassle. And then there is Phoenix International... non-ABA, but only an hour away. Because my application is subject to be very, very late, the best I can hope for is a January admission. It also means tons more private loans (something I am less than thrilled about).

And yes, "C" students CAN transfer out of Cooley, although it is by no means an easy task.

In September I'll post where I end(ed) up at.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck man.
Hope things work out well.

 
At Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:17:00 AM, Blogger Cherry said...

Best of luck making your decision.

 
At Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such decisions. I hope all goes well for you. I couldnt imagine that commute with a family. Kudos to you for doing that for so long. Kudos to your wife. :-)

 
At Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:27:00 AM, Blogger majqa said...

Indeed - my wife is awesome. She is an amazing woman. Sometimes I think SHE is the one who should be going to law school. I have no idea how she puts up with me.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes. I'll eventually post where I end(ed) up at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home