Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Spiral of Death and Doom (Torts I)

First, I will say how I feel…

I failed Torts. Failed it. Miserably. I ended up just throwing as much pasta against the wall I could come up with in hopes something would stick. Negligence, battery, contributory negligence vs comparative negligence, assumption of risk, false imprisonment… whatever I could remember.

I am SUPER worried about my essays. I get in line and the proctors are printing out giant, massive reams of paper. I swear, most kids must have had 20 or 30 pages in their essays. I had maybe 7 or 8 pages total. Ugh. Something went way wrong. Looking back, I’m pretty sure I didn’t have near enough pasta, and the pasta I had probably wasn’t enough to stick.

I would like to apologize now to all REAL and worthy law school bloggers. I pretended to be a law school student. I attended class as a dutiful student, studied until I couldn’t stand it, and threw around phrases like proximate-cause with admitted glee – yet I am certain of my failure. I am not worthy to be in your company, and… and… I am sorry. You guys are all so cool and I am such a dork. Sorry. :-(

Next month this blog will transform into something about:

A) Truck Driving and/or Truck Driving School (seeing the country would be nice)
B) Real Estate School and life as a realtor in Arizona (which actually isn’t half bad)
C) Or… my Dinner with Lenny and why a life of crime turned out to be my true calling. Check back for prices on a wide range of illicit activities.
D) Linux
E) All of the above

There is only one question I know I got right on the multiple choice section – the Latin word for Tort. It was the first question on the MC and I was like “What the hell? Well, ok. I actually know this one.” It was all downhill from there.

Tomorrow - Crimlaw.

8 Comments:

At Thursday, December 16, 2004 6:54:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there. It's not unusual to feel like you have failed a law school exam. Let it go for now and concentrate on your crim law exam.
Good luck man.

 
At Thursday, December 16, 2004 7:56:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A little failure every now and then is good. Hang on and try again.

 
At Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:05:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I know. It's too early for an atopsy. That'll be two weeks from now.

I guess the bright side is that if this all goes badly, I'll get to spend more time with the wife and kids, and that would certainly be a good thing. Although granted I will probably experience a level of humilation, pain, debt and poverty heretofore unknown to me in my 37 years of living, but heck - every rose has it's thorn!

Ok. Now Criminal Law. Ahh, at least this is a fun class.

 
At Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:55:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, criminal law should rejuvenate you a little.
My exam was actually fun, as weird as that sounds. I've got my torts exam coming up on Monday, so I may be posting a similar "think I failed" story in a few days.

 
At Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found you blog by doing a google search 'why am I going to law school'. I also attend Cooley and remember my first set of exams. There was not anyone (that I knew) who thought they did well, and all knew for sure they failed.
I read that you have a wife and kids. If you made it TO SIT for your first set of exams, I'd bet your o.k.
I go to Cooley full time, and a single mom of 2 young boys involved in school sports.
During exam week, my parents take the boys, I go into hiding. I freak out, I talk to myself (yes, I just admitted that to the world) and wonder why the hell I intentionally do this to myself, and actually pay money to do it! I also choose Cooley because of a scholarship (couldnt do it without one and not have a 'paying' job) Child support helps too.
After every single darn exam I'm sure I failed and I'm going to get the 'maybe you ought to do something else' letter. I'm sure I'll do it this term also.
First term, I did actually suck. Bad. But, now its term 7 for me, and its my mission that my name WILL be on the Deans list yet again.
By the way(from my personal 7 terms experience)its typically the students that say they rocked on the exam, or sure they pulled an A or B that are not there the following term.
One of my friends has 2 terms left, he's number 2 in the entire class, and always feels this same way. He told me he could conceiveable get a D on every exam he has to take and still graduate, and hes still worried! Its part of the game. Learn how to play it. Its really not what you know, its how you give it back. IRAC is very good, and will work, but its a just a step in playing the game.
Good Luck to all!! My exams are not done until Sunday, and...Kelly's opens on Sundays after Cooley's exams, so I'll go drown my sorrows and wait until week 4 of next term, and find out I did in fact actually pass.

 
At Friday, December 17, 2004 9:02:00 AM, Blogger Evan said...

Just remember my friend; quality is more important than quantity.

 
At Friday, December 17, 2004 10:29:00 AM, Blogger majqa said...

Someone said that his Property professor told the class "Pigs get fat; Hogs get slaughtered."

Maybe when the prof sees my essay is 6 or 7 pages total he'll go "Ah, a short one. 10 extra bonus points for not wasting my time..."

 
At Tuesday, January 04, 2005 1:08:00 AM, Blogger majqa said...

As it turns out the saying seems to be accurate. My essay was a pig and it avoided the slaughter. I wish I could say the same thing about Property...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home