Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Good To Be Home

It's nice to be home. I built some shelves in the garage and installed a much-needed cabinet in the laundry room. Change the oil in the car and sort-of fixed a garage door issue. Sadly, it took a real-man (unlike yours truly) like my father-in-law to stop by to get the opener to actually work right. He's so cool. He's a FOX-news Republican, hardcore fundamentalist, but I couldn't dislike the guy even if I tried. I'm not crazy about Republican Taliban types, but he gets a pass along with my ex-boss Larry (who I happen to think is faking it and is really a closet-progressive Democrat).

It's also nice to be working plus doing some creative stuff. I'm working on a documentary about my dad - he fled Hungary in 1956 during the revolution, spent a few years at Boys Town and went from bagging groceries to becoming a multi-millionaire several times over in a span of less than 10 years. His story has as much to do with rags-to-riches-to-rags as it does with freedom gained and I believe subsequently in the midst of being lost in this country. When a serious Republican like my dad talks about going back to Europe, I can't help but realize just how far removed the Republicans of today are from the Republicans of yesteryear.

He's made-it and lost-it so many times in his life it's scary. Right now he's back at the making-it stage/cycle and although he's 65 he looks to be a man in his late 40's or early 50's. I am pretty sure he is going to be one of those men that die at 95 while in the saddle with a 23 year old busty girlfriend (probably a nurse at some hospital at that point - knowing my dad).

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 25, 2005 4:00:00 PM, Blogger Evan said...

We might have the same father-in-law. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home