Thursday, October 14, 2004

A State of Contrasts: Canada Posts Another Surplus

Canada seems to have a very different strategy when it comes to economics, not to mention healthcare and just about everything else. Why don't I go live there if I like it so much? Well... I'm working on it, but these things take time.

Ironic that our budget deficit is hitting all time-records, evidently the trillions in tax cuts must not have kicked in yet to help balance the budget. Hopefully, this country will re-elect the President so we can keep this train off, er, on the rails to clear up the mess that... Clinton made. God knows the fiscal crisis Kerry would create if he were elected. The deficit might balloon the way it did under Johnson or Carter or Clinton (he was the worst of the bunch).

Our trade deficit seems to have hit another record, actually - it seems to hit a record every month side by side with all of our other deficit-like constructs, but the smart guys at JP Morgan say it's nothing to worry about. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that's a bad thing. At this rate, the Dollar is on its way to becoming the peso. And let's not forget how our healthcare system is the envy of the entire world, so viva Bush!

FYI: Republicans are fiscal conservatives. Why they are known for that is a mystery to me, but among Americans Republicans are seen as better managers of the economy and the budget. I don't have any hard data to back that up, and neither do the Repulicans, but I am pretty sure somewhere out there is a poll that supports this notion.

I'll spare the rest. Facts are useless in this country anyway. Since I seem to be in a sarcastic if not sardonic mood tonight, here's an interesting Canadian.


2 Comments:

At Friday, October 15, 2004 7:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't actually know who you are, but after finding out you are working on getting a Canadian Visa, you are now, in my opinion, the coolest person in my classes. I am in awe of you!

 
At Saturday, October 16, 2004 8:02:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

I have never, in my entire life, had anyone call me "cool" - or anything even close. Don't get me wrong. I've been called a lot of things in my life, but I've never been called Cool. However, I do appreciate the sentiment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home