Saturday, October 16, 2004

Midterms

I wasn't expecting to have time to spare when doing my midterms. Our Intro to Law class led some of us to believe that we would, if lucky, have only seconds to spare to complete the exam(s). Instead, I end up with about a 1/2 hour to re-think everything, go over my answers, and change my mind more than once.

I went from having a complete lack of confidence plus worrying if I could even finish - to feeling completely confused. How could I have finished so fast? I ride the short bus to school. It doesn't make sense.

UPDATE 10-17-2004

I feel the most positive about my performance with Torts and just the opposite when it comes to Contracts. It's funny, because I thought I would be strongest with Contracts and a train wreck with Torts. I was NOT expecting the issue of options-type contracts to come up on the Contracts exam. That caught me by surprise, although I guess it shouldn't have. I was expecting more "battle of the forms" questions as Morgan's method for student-humilation, but alas nothing too huge in this regard. Frankly, I don't know if a counter-offer terminates an existing option - or not. I better check on that...

All in all - a demoralizing experience. It sure didn't help to have my truck breakdown on the first day of midterms either.

Another Update - Again 6:30pm

I blew the "options" questions - which was something like... sheezus - what, 20% of the questions thanks to Morgan linking so many things together? I've found four situations in which an offer will be deeemed "irrevocable"... one of them is via an options contract. I knew this, but ... dang ... totally blew it. If I am *lucky* I'll get an D- on Contracts, although I'm feeling a good solid B coming on for Torts.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, October 17, 2004 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Evan said...

I did the same thing.

 
At Monday, October 18, 2004 11:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care to comment on Saturday's Property class?

 
At Monday, October 18, 2004 12:21:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

I think the prof in Property is a nice enough guy. I know from talking to him in a one on one situation he's approachable and helpful, but I must confess the subject matter doesn't really excite me.

I don't want to say that I've written the class off, that wouldn't be entirely accurate, but I spend most of my time using Sub and Substance, EE's, a good hornbook and a commercial outline for that class. I am coming around to seeing the class itself as being "supplemental" to my outside learning rather than the other way around.

However, I have to be careful not to take Property for granted. My wife is a realtor and I was, at one time - a general contractor, so the stuff in property can get a little old to me if not outright boring. Overall - I have mixed feelings about the class.

If you really want to see me rant and rave and go bizerk, ask me about "Intro to Law" and you'll see a guy who that probably needs at minimum a decent dose of medication.

 
At Monday, October 18, 2004 12:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think about spending our Friday nights in Intro to Law? :)

 
At Monday, October 18, 2004 1:00:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

I see someone pressed the "Do Not Press" button...

OH HOLY GOD!!!!!!!!! I SWEAR if that class went all the way into Finals I'd have to nuke myself and everyone around me JUST TO FEEL HAPPY!

Ok. Now, I do need to stress a few things about this class. I can see a certain utility and value in it. Sort of. The whole IRAC thing is a necessary skill to learn, although the MC tips and games and what not - I really could have done without. I've always performed well on MC's (at least until lately - thanks Intro to Law class for messing with my head), but there comes a point and time when a lot of this stuff could be learned from a small, thin handbook.

Why not put this class ONLINE or on a CDROM/DVD??? That would make PERFECT SENSE! Oops. Answered my own question. Circular reasoning?

I think instead of Intro to Law they should just hand out John Delaney's book on Legal Reasoning and call it a day. Actually, MAYBE - 4 classes on IRAC would have been fine, and then THAT'S IT. STOP!!!!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!!!! GOT IT!!!!!

You know what really adds salt to the wound? Having to deal with hellish parking. On the weekend - wow - nice - parking is no problem. But for this one stinkin ass-clown class I have to distrupt my entire schedule, battle for a parking space, and then listen to a couple hours of BLAH BLAH.

My adjunct is nice enough. And helpful. So I don't hold anything against the adjuncts, just against the school. I like the idea of the Resource Center, but - 10 weeks of this? Is it REALLY necessary? Short answer: no. Long answer: no, it is not necessary.

I know they are (probably) trying to be helpful, but... this is just a time burner of a class and time is something every law student is short on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home