Saturday, December 18, 2004

Property Law IN HELL


Property Law in Hell is rough

I have an entire blank area in my blue book. I didn’t expect an entire section to be “A to O in fee simple absolute with vested remainder in” God knows. I don’t know. I actually panicked. I’ve never had that happen, ever, on an exam. Today, you could have looked inside my head and saw the Windows Blue Screen of Death, and no matter how much I banged on control-alt-delete my brain just would not reboot.

It’s one thing to do poorly or just be surprised by some twisted questions (hence Torts); it’s another to stare blankly into space and just-not-know. We spent weeks and weeks on dead whales and lost/mislaid wallets and things of that nature – and I would say 75% of the exam was future interests and race-notice statutes. A smattering of Joint Tenancy kind of things, but overall it struck me as Future Interests, even within the multiple choice section that was probably designed to cover ownership of fluffy bunny's and runaway bears.

Oddly enough – I don’t feel too bad about-facing the prospects of having to hit the void-grade button. We get two get-out-of-jail-free cards and I’ll be using it with Property.

On a broader level, I’ve learned a lot about myself, much more in fact than I ever dreamed. I figured I was too old to change my thinking or how I see things, but law school has definitely re-ordered my mind and I like it. At first I was afraid of becoming part of The Borg, but now I actually welcome it. It has been a very cathartic experience and I intend, one way or the other, to never give up.

Posted by Hello

7 Comments:

At Saturday, December 18, 2004 6:16:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your new war cry "I won't give up on being assimilated!"

A little tongue-in-cheek stuff ;)

So, what's left now? Anymore exams?

 
At Saturday, December 18, 2004 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ok, scratch that last question.
Contracts exam is next...

 
At Saturday, December 18, 2004 7:18:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

When my wife wants to see me blush, she'll say things like "Comon honey - Assimilate Me Now you big bad Borg!"

(sigh)

And yes. A good war cry. "I WILL be assimilated! I will never give up! Never not-surrender!"

 
At Saturday, December 18, 2004 8:27:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you planning on going home over break?

 
At Saturday, December 18, 2004 8:57:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

Yes, I'll be going back during break.

I am also looking hard at taking a one-term leave of absence contingent upon if or when our grades will be posted. It's complicated to explain, but rooted in the fact that I need Stafford loans to attend, however if my GPA falls below 2.0 (now, now, I'm not saying this is going to happen) - I don't get the loans for my 2nd term... but I will still owe the school anyway.

Here's a simpler way of saying it: if I do poorly on these exams and I wait for grades next term, and they're bad, it would be a financial disaster. I would worry less were it not for the massive attrition rate combined with how many people I've seen drop even before exams got rolling.

With that said, I'm viewing a permitted leave as "risk management" to my assimilation process. I will be discussing it with the family back home. An awful lot is taking place back there as my wife is also looking at a promotion of sorts, and, well, things are complicated. Evan down in Georgia could probably relate.

 
At Saturday, December 18, 2004 9:09:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, drop me an email if you need to sound off or bounce ideas off someone.
I was going to shoot you an email a few different times, but couldn't find your email address anywhere on here.
Mine is simply: neurosis25 at hotmail dot com.

I'll be up in your neck of the woods (MI) over break.

 
At Tuesday, December 21, 2004 5:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody always feels like they bombed a test after they took it. Wait till grades come out before you do anything drastic. The best way to get good grades at Cooley is to study from commercial outlines. Reading cases and doing your own outlines is a huge waste of time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home