Monday, October 25, 2004

How I learned to stop worrying and love Torts.

Changing my study habits saved my a** with Torts. I decided to try an experiment starting several weeks ago. With Contracts, I would do everything by the book per the professor’s demands (no canned outlines, doesn’t like supplements much, etc). I read the book, studied my cases, became a diligent student, avoided canned briefs, and so on. The result? Horrible. I do, however, have a lovely and evidently worthless home spun outline.

For Torts I did just the opposite. I obtained every supplement known to man. The professor is loveable, but loveable is not going to help me pass his exam. The Sum and Substance audio, a decent hornbook, commercial outline, canned brief, the Q&A book, pretty much the works - are proving to be very helpful. Torts ended up being my best score with respect to midterms.


3 Comments:

At Monday, October 25, 2004 1:29:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you on using supplements. I started about a week ago and am wondering why I waited. Some of the concepts are covered much better in the commercial material than the casebook + class discussion method.

Also, I've given up on being "ready" for every class discussion. Today I actually got called on three times in one class and answered, "I don't know" to each. Of course, I had a vague idea, but wasn't up for all the follow-up grilling that would have ensued.

Yeah, I'm a slacker, I guess.

By the way, try not to stress the mid-term stuff too much. Think of it as a practice run. It's not worth much of your grade, right?
I bombed a mid-term myself, but it was only worth 5% of my grade.

 
At Monday, October 25, 2004 2:59:00 PM, Blogger majqa said...

It's only a small part of our grade as well, and I suspect that if a student did poorly on his midterm, but nailed the final in a big way - I would bet the prof would give that student an A. Most of the prof's I've talked with don't think much of the midterms and one even outright poo poo'd it.

Still - even though the score can be technically meaningless, it does provide feedback and I'm thankful for it. If it weren't for the midterm, I'd probably still be whistling Dixie past the graveyard.

 
At Monday, October 25, 2004 3:11:00 PM, Blogger Evan said...

Given how they test us, supplements are invaluable. Also I found the finz multistate was useful in preparing for the exam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home