Friday, November 26, 2004

Trying to Maintain Perspective on Law Finals

As finals approach I am, like most law students, consumed by the materials and compelled to cram all that is Year 1 / Term I of law school into my pea sized brain. The net result of such intense concentration and pressure is the potential to completely burn out. Once that stage is reached total apathy and eventual resignation isn’t far behind. To avoid such an event, I decided to take a few hours off today and see what was going on outside my world of law school and modest apartment living. It was a wise decision.

I headed over to East Lansing and wandered about the shopping district around campus. It is a place filled with good places to eat, drink and at least a half dozen interesting bookstores – and by the way – I love bookstores. Throw in a decent espresso bar and the aroma of ground coffee and I easily reach a satisfying plateau of peace. Hence, I found a few moments of peace and therefore the element was met…

After a couple hours of browsing books about Hitler, fascism, Python (the language), Linux (an operating system), and checking out the classical music section at B&N – it was time to head home.

Coming back to the books after getting some fresh air I realized that I, in fact, understood more about Criminal Law and Property than I first thought (or at least felt). There is often an overwhelming compulsion to study at this stage until ones eyes bleed, but in practice such exertion probably does more harm than good. Ten hours of intense study doesn’t always equate to ten useful hours. By taking a few hours off and doing something not related to law, it makes coming back to studying for finals a bit easier to digest.

2 Comments:

At Monday, November 29, 2004 8:32:00 AM, Blogger Evan said...

Good idea. Studying too much will turn your brain to mush. How are things up there?

 
At Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:21:00 AM, Blogger majqa said...

It's pretty intense bro. The one thing that has taken me by surprise is how fast the semester has rolled by. In some ways, I feel like I just got here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home