Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Exams

I photo copied from our SBA part of a B+ exam for Contracts and took it home to study. After reviewing it I can tell I have a lot of work ahead of me, however - providing I can type the exam instead of using 1st century technology – I feel confident I can pass Contracts.

The biggest problem I face with exams isn’t my knowledge of a particular topic (or at times lack thereof); it is how to properly demonstrate actual knowledge to my professor. Writing a law exam is the closest thing to non-scholarly writing I have ever seen while still qualifying as graduate level work product. The more scholarly one is at this stage - the worse off they will be when the prof grades the paper. To succeed (so I have been told) on a law exam one must, must, must use IRAC.

I’ve struggled with IRAC, and just now I am starting to appreciate it and understand its proper application. Here is the opening line to a B+ exam in Morgan’s Contracts class…

“The remedial options available to Remodeler is either expectation damages, reliance or restitution. Expectation damages is the recovery of the contract price. The remodeler would be placed in the position of the completed contract if Morgan had not breached. Remodeler would thus be awarded the contract amount to complete the contract…[and so on it goes for another entire page]”

It is not a pleasant essay to read, but it does the job and it is very IRAC-ish. Other techniques exist besides IRAC, but since our school seems big on IRAC - it seems wise that I do things their way rather than my way.

The other thing I noticed is that students double-space when they write the exam. They also have way, way better handwriting than I could ever DREAM of being capable of. Ever get a prescription from the doctor? Well, my handwriting is about 10 times worse – and that’s when I’m trying to write neatly. I neglected to do this with my Intro to Law final and I know I will hear about it from my adjunct.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home